Buttermilk Chicken with Roasted Carrots and Butternut Squash
Updated: Sep 8, 2021
Complements to Samin Nosrat and her amazing #saltfatacidheat recipe!
Salted chicken and marinated overnight in buttermilk, paprika, and garam masala. Amazingly juicy and tasty! MUST TRY!
(Multiply as needed for larger families; this fed 2 adults with only chicken left over)
Ingredients: - 3-4lb whole roasting chicken - Kosher salt - 2-3 cups buttermilk - small/med butternut squash - 2-3 large carrots - 1 red onion - 3-4 cloves of garlic
Method: 1. Day before (or as far instance as possible), salt chicken all over. Make it look like a light snow dusting when you’re done. (Seems like a lot, but it’ll actually “soak” into the meat while it sits)
2. Place in gallon freezer bag and pour 2-3 cups of buttermilk in. If not buttermilk, can substitute regular milk with 1tsp lemon juice or vinegar per cup of milk (let milk come to room temp and add acid - let sit for 5-10 minutes to curdle, then add to bag)
3. Add aromatic spices to bag (we used 1tbsp paprika and 1tbsp garam masala), if desired, and seal, getting as much air out as possible.
4. Place in refrigerator overnight (or as many hours up to 24 as possible)
- - PREHEAT OVEN TO 425F WITH RACK IN CENTER POSITION - -
5. Prep veggies: large chunk carrots, 1/2” chunk butternut squash, dice red onion, peel garlic and leave whole
6. Place 1tbsp butter in bottom of cast iron skillet and cover with chopped veggies.
7. Take chicken out of bag (in sink) and wipe off excess buttermilk moderately well. Truss legs together if preferred.
8. Place chicken on veggies with legs pointing away from skillet handle (you'll understand why later)
9. Slide skillet all the way to back of oven. Rotate skillet so legs point toward rear left corner and breasts are pointing to center of oven (back corners of the oven tend to be the hottest areas, so this placement helps protect the breasts from overcooking before the legs are done)
10. After 20-25 min, reduce heat to 400F. Continue roasting for another 10 min, then move skillet to back right corner (legs facing corner). Continue cooking for 30 more minutes or so, until chicken is brown all over.
11. Monitor additional time, in 5 minute increments, until internal temp is minimally 150F (temp will continue to rise one pulled from oven 5-10 degrees).
12. Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes. Remove chicken from skillet and place on serving plate or dish. Serve as desired next to plated veggies.